The Changing Season and How you Should Change your Hair Care
When the seasons change, people often think about their wardrobes and allergies. However, for many, especially women, the changing season also means hair loss. Like seasonal allergies, seasonal hair fall occurs when there is a change in temperature. If you are among those who end up losing a noticeable number of strands during change in season and looking for ways to address this concern, you are on the right page.
Seasonal hair fall explained
When the season changes, just like the skin, the scalp too can be under stress due to change in temperature. Most people in India experience seasonal hair fall in winter and monsoon months. During winter, the air is dry and there is less moisture. This causes dryness of the skin as well as the scalp. As the air surrounding the hair is dry, it takes the moisture out of the hair strands causing them to become dull and dry. This is why many people experience hair breakage and split ends in winter. Those with dry and frizzy hair are more likely to experience hair fall in winter.
Those with oily hair are likely to experience hair fall in the monsoon. The reason being the high levels of humidity makes the scalp oily. As a result, people tend to wash their hair more frequently. This frequent hair washing can rob the hair of its natural moisture, making them prone to breakage.
How seasonal hair fall is different from telogen effluvium
Often people confuse seasonal hair fall with telogen effluvium. The only similarity is that both are temporary. However, telogen effluvium usually happens due to stress whereas seasonal hair fall is due to temperature change that causes the scalp and follicles to enter a shedding phase.
How to stop seasonal hair loss
Seasonal hair loss can happen to anyone at any age. The best way to slow it down is by adopting some good habits and paying extra attention to the hair. It is important to pay close attention to your diet. Make sure you are eating a season appropriate diet.
How to stop hair fall in winter
- Oil massage: There’s nothing like a good scalp massage for your hair in the winter. Oiling helps increase blood circulation to the scalp and strengthen the hair follicles from within. Oiling reduces breakage by nourishing the strands. Make sure you choose a hair oil that suits your hair type.
- Use hydrating hair products: There are a plethora of hair products in the market. But make sure that the cleanser and conditioner that you use have hydrating properties. Also, treat your hair with a hair mask at least once a week. Hair masks are intense and high-powered conditioning treatments that deeply nourish hair and hydrate it. Hair masks not only strengthen the hair but also add shine to it.
- Do not use too hot water for washing your hair: Hot water can strip hair of their natural moisture, leaving hair dry and brittle.
How to stop hair fall in monsoon
- Don’t let your hair get wet in the rain: Rainwater is not as pure as it looks. There are many pollutants in it. They can weaken the hair roots and lead to hair fall. Always cover your head when it’s raining.
- Avoid hair treatments: Avoid hair color treatments, perming, or any other chemical treatment during monsoon. This is especially important if you have oily hair. The use of some chemicals makes the hair and the scalp greasy, making it prone to breakage and hair loss.
- Use a deep conditioning mask: Deep conditioning hair masks can strengthen the hair and scalp from the inside out. However, make sure you choose the right hair as per your hair type. Oily hair can benefit from an oil-control hair mask that hydrates hair without weighing it down.
No matter which season you face hair fall, do incorporate scalp serums. These serums directly enter the roots and help nourish the scalp. If you face mild hair loss then go for our Scalp Tonic and if the hair loss is extreme do go for our specialized treatment with The Hair Density Tonic . Using scalp serums can help you fight hair loss before the damage gets worse.
If you need help selecting the right product for your hair, book a consultation with us.